Saturday, October 2, 2010

"That Girl" Is International!




My Fellow Americans --

That Girl has officially made it to London! I got in yesterday morning at 6:45am, local time after a dismally turbulant fight from Pittsburgh to Newark, a beer in Newark airport, and a terrible in-air dinner on the lenghty flight from Newark to Heathrow. After disembarking from my "cozy" windowseat, I spent nearly two hours waiting in line to get past Border Partol... on zero cups of coffee - amazingly, they let grumpy ol' me into their beautiful country!

After the Border Patrol shuffle, I took a cab out to my near place of residence which is out in Haringay, if you're curious, in North London, a good hike from Heathrow airport. I spent most of yesterday packing and trying to stay awake. I had a lovely dinner with my flatmates, a wonderful couple who just couldn't be nicer. I managed to stay awake until 10pm last night, and stayed snuggled in my British bed until nearly 1pm, local time. Woohoo!

Today, I braved the rain showers and went exploring in the neighborhood, strolling the main roads, and venturing down the side streets. I navigated the British currencey system to buy a few groceries, some shampoo, and a postcard for every child I've ever nannyed for, before trekking home to do some reading for school. My favorite thing about being in London so far is that, everythime you come home from somewhere, someone predicatibly asks, "Shall I put the kettle on?" I'm already used to that, and have admittedly had FAR too much coffee today as a consequence.

Tonight, I''m off to the East End for an Indian dinner and a housewarming party with the flatmates. We'll be in Jack the Ripper's territory! :) Before I go though, check out my neighborhood pub, the main drag in my little town and a curious warning re: The Queen's Pigeons.

No comments:

Post a Comment